Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Journey in the Making


I just decided to create this blog to keep everyone updated on what is going on in the life of myself (David) and Lisa.

First let me give a brief introduction on the both of us. I did a lot of praying as to where I should be this summer, and despite every desire in me to be abroad (outside the U.S.), I felt that the Lord was telling me to stay in Mount Pleasant. I moved into a house and was the only renter from this house during the entire summer. It was a great time to bring my life back into God's will, which had gone off course last school year.

Long story short, we began dating this summer and have both had a desire to be in Africa. Now I had been to Tanzania before, so I am way excited to go back. We knew this summer that we would be going in the summer of 2009, but hadn't the slightest clue where we were headed to. After a lot of praying about it, both her and I feel entirely led to Sudan.

If anybody knows me, they know that I am not a stranger to Sudan. Yes, it's true that I've never been there before, but my grandfather David Bowman has been actively involved in the lives of countless Sudanese in the past 5 or so years. When I was just in high school, several Sudanese guys became a part of my family.

Several years ago, God called my grandfather to begin the contstruction of a hospital in southern Sudan (in the area called 'Werkok'). The hopital is going to be dedicated this spring!!! My family is actually going to visit the hospital. I was invited to go, but I knew that I never want to go to Africa again on such a short term. So instead of going for two weeks, Lisa and I will be headed there in May and stay for the months of June and July.

As to what we will be doing, here is what we know:
We will be working with a local pastor named Rev. Stephen Mathiang. He lives in the town of Bor. He is A MAN OF GOD and has worked side-by-side with my grandfather in the process of the hospital. We will be living with him and will be doing the following:
*First and foremost, being there FOR HIM and doing anything he needs!
*We also look forward to being discipled by him
*There is also a great work of teaching the Gospel
*The possible construction of a soccer field for the children
*Working on construction of the physical church
*Learning how to love God's people better


In the next few days, I will be formulating a financial budget for this trip, taking into consideration everything else needed and will be updating on the progressive plans of this trip.

Here is the address of the organization that we are going with, if anyone is interested:

***http://www.pccsudan.org/***

Having no confidence in the flesh,

David

No comments: